Wargaming the English Civil War, American War of Independence and Sudanese campaigns in 28mm

Friday 17 December 2010

USMC WIP 2


I've just textured the Marines' bases and thought I'd do a quick update. It took me about half an hour to texture all the bases with tile grout which I didn't think was too bad considering I'd never done it before! I think they're looking good so far and can't wait for them to dry so I can crack on with the painting. It takes around 24 hours for the grout to dry hard so I've got a bit of time to wait but once dry, I will make sure all parts of the model are painted black before dry brushing some grey onto the areas I want to be black/dark (guns, flak jackets, webbing, etc) before focussing on the flesh and camo.


This is the black tile grout I bought on the recommendation of David Imrie (Saxon Dog). He didn't recommend this specific brand, merely that it be black tile grout. I picked up this large tub from B&Q for around £10 which should last me a long time! I hope the fact it's 'waterproof' doesn't affect the glueing of sand and dry-brushing of the base later in the process.


This is the tool I used to apply the grout. It is part of the modelling tool kit sold by Wargames Foundry. I used the larger 'spoon' end to pick up a pea-sized amount of grout and then spread it on the base. I used the pointy end to add some texture or spread it around between the legs where necessary.


This is a close up of the 1st Squad Sergeant showing the basing and fantastic detail put into every Peter Pig model. Once the model is fully painted, patches of fine sand will be glued onto the base and then dry brushed with various colours. Once this is dry, static grass and silflor tufts will be applied to bring the base and the model to life.

3 comments:

Monty said...

Nice one, Eddie,

I have completed the majority of my 15mm AA project now and will post up some more pics soon.

The grout looks great, too. I use a little green putty with PVA, fine sand and cat litter, with the figure based on a 1p (Her Majesty's likeness downwards so as not to deface the Sovereign, of course!)
I'm looking forward to seeing your project progress, too...

Best wishes,

Monty

Anonymous said...

Come on Eddie make some new posts as I'm highlighting your blog on my new games site.

Andrea Beckett said...

Greaat post